A significant other to Persius and Juvenal breaks new floor in its in-depth specialise in either authors as "satiric successors"; particular person contributions recommend unique views on their paintings, and supply an in-depth exploration of Persius' and Juvenal's afterlives.
• presents targeted and up to date information at the texts and contexts of Persius and Juvenal
• bargains sizeable dialogue of the reception of either authors, reflecting probably the most leading edge paintings being performed in modern Classics
• incorporates a thorough exploration of Persius' and Juvenal's afterlives
Read or Download A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient books
During this complete review of historical struggle, Antonio Santosuosso explores how the tactical and strategic strategies of battle replaced among the start of the 5th century b. c. and the center of the second one century b. c. and why the West—Greece, Macedonia, and Rome—triumphed over the East—understood geographically as Persia or ideologically as Carthage.
The family members is a topical factor for experiences of the traditional global. relations, family and kinship have diverse connotations in antiquity from their smooth ones. This quantity expands that dialogue to enquire the early Christian kin constructions in the greater Graeco-Roman context. specific emphasis is given to how relatives metaphors, reminiscent of 'brotherhood' functionality to explain kinfolk in early Christian groups.
This quantity offers with Greek painted vases, exploring them from numerous methodological issues of view and relocating past the normal specialize in connoisseurship and magnificence. the quantity, which represents the lawsuits of a global convention sponsered via the guts for the traditional Mediterranean at Columbia collage, is an attempt to take advantage of the colossal richness of those vases through the use of them to check common cultural background.
The possibility of old Greek poetic etymologizing and its reception in antiquity are analyzed with new interpretive versions. the writer reports poetic etymology in a holistic and integrative demeanour, as a device of thematic and narrative unification. opt for passages from Homer and archaic lyric poetry give you the matrix for etymological styles; their validity is tested in an intertextual research of the names of Pelops and his family members.
- The Ancient Near East: A History
- The Armenian People from Ancient to Modern Times: Volume I: The Dynastic Periods: From Antiquity to the Fourteenth Century
- Fingerprinting the Iron Age: Approaches to Identity in the European Iron Age. Integrating South-Eastern Europe into the Debate
- The Oxford Illustrated Prehistory of Europe
Additional info for A Companion to Persius and Juvenal (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)