By Janet Carsten
Unique in concentration and overseas in scope, this ebook brings jointly 10 essays in regards to the fabric, metaphorical, and symbolic significance of blood.
- An interdisciplinary examine that unites the paintings of famous historians and anthropologists
- Incorporates insights from fresh paintings in symbolism, kinship stories, scientific anthropology, the anthropology of faith, the sociological learn of finance, and textual analysis
- Covers subject matters reminiscent of Medieval ecu conceptions of blood; blood and the mind; blood and the cultural learn of finance; and blood kinds, identification, and organization in twentieth-century America
Read or Download Blood Will Out: Essays on Liquid Transfers and Flows PDF
Best cultural books
Booklet by means of seashore, Betty
Co-published with UNESCOA made of the UNESCO-IHP venture on Water and Cultural variety, this ebook represents an attempt to envision the advanced position water performs as a strength in maintaining, conserving, and dangerous the viability of culturally assorted peoples. it truly is argued that water is a basic human desire, a human correct, and a middle maintaining aspect in biodiversity and cultural variety.
The necessity for international values in a globalised global is mixed with the necessity for contextual identification. New nationalisms, protectionisms and fundamentalisms are combined with a globalised pluralistic relativism. Are international values threatened through specific values? locate solutions in the 32 articles of this ebook.
This quantity of al-T'abari's background has a very extensive sweep and curiosity. It presents the main whole and targeted ancient resource for the Persian empire of the Sasanids, whose 4 centuries of rule have been probably the most wonderful classes in Persia's lengthy heritage. It additionally offers details at the heritage of pre-Islamic Arabs of the Mesopotamian barren region fringes and jap Arabia (in al-Hira and the Ghassanid kingdom), and at the rather separate civilization of South Arabia, the Yemen, another way recognized almost always through inscriptions.
- Anthropology’s Politics: Disciplining the Middle East
- A Cultural History of Association Football in Scotland, 1865-1902: Understanding Sports As a Way of Understanding Society
- Games Indians Play Why We are the Way We are
- Kultur — Medien — Macht: Cultural Studies und Medienanalyse
- Doing Cultural Anthropology: Projects for Ethnographic Data Collection
- The Evolution of Highland Papua New Guinea Societies
Extra resources for Blood Will Out: Essays on Liquid Transfers and Flows
Renaissance debates 38 Kath Weston about biological generation, like Renaissance debates about circulation, have made their way unheralded into accounts of finance. Where does wealth come from? Why does capital beget more capital? What makes a family fortune grow? Who can legitimately claim the spoils? How do fractional reserve banking and derivatives create credit out of thin air? The early modern controversies once associated with circulation and generation are with us still. They have simply been displaced.
Shao, J. 2006. Fluid labor and blood money: the economy of HIV/AIDS in rural central China. Cultural Anthropology 21, 535-69. ——— & M. Scoggin 2009. Solidarity and distinction in blood: contamination, morality and variability. Body & Society 15: 2, 29-50. Sharp, L. 1995. Organ transplantation as a transformative experience: anthropological insights into the restructuring of the self. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 9, 357-89. ——— 2006. Strange harvest: organ transplants, denatured bodies, and the transformed self.
Although this essay focuses on the history of European science in an attempt to understand how a circulatory conception of blood became naturalized in economic discourse, subsequent investigations would do well to attend to subtle shifts of meaning and practice as these tropes travel, rather than simply the mobility of the categories themselves. From descriptions of an economy nourished by blood, periodically appraised in terms of vigour and well-being, it is but a short step to medicalized prescription.